Thursday, October 22, 2009




MAKING GRAVY AND BISCUITS THE EASY WAY:
For years I have been making biscuits and gravy the old fashioned way, because if you ask me, all of those little gravy packs at the store taste nasty. Then one day my husband told me about this gravy that somebody made at work, that tasted almost home-made. One pack is enough for four people, and the directions are even a lot different than those little packs. I haven't seen it at Walmart yet, but both stores in my small home town have it, off on a rack of its own. They have several kinds....make sure and get the Country Gravy one. When paired up with Grands Biscuits it is delicious. Sometimes we will throw some cut up bologna in it, or some fried pork sausage to change it up! Since it is not made out of grease it does not bother sensitive tummys.

MAKING GRAVY AND BISCUITS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY:

Making gravy is not hard once you figure it out. I am going to write down the recipe for this that is only in my mind. Without actually doing it myself right now I can only estimate on the amounts...but this will give you a rule of thumb to go by. Perhaps soon I will make some and get on here and edit it more precise for you, except its just so much easier to make it the other way now! LOL!!!

You will need to have made bacon and saved the bacon grease prior. I have a bacon grease container in my fridge now that strains out the bits, when I was younger I kept it in a coffee can with a closed lid on it.

1. I use a high sided 10" skillet. Melt some bacon grease........put it all in a bowl. Turn OFF your flame. Wipe your sides of your skillet off, so that its not dangerous. Now I take a large tablespoon serving spoon and I put around 3 to 4 spoonfuls of that melted bacon grease back in my skillet, returning the rest. Now using that same exact spoon that you used for your grease measure 3 to 4 BIG STACKED UP HIGH heaping spoonfuls of flour, and stir til its a creamy mixture. If its dry add a little more of your melted bacon grease. If its runny add a little more of your flour.

2. Now turn on your flame to medium and add around 3 to 4 cups of milk. Gravy takes patience. Your job is now just to stand there and stir it, round and round so that it does not scald. Its got to get hot enough for the flour to thicken, around ten minutes. Pepper and salt to taste, and of course you can add bologna. When I make sausage gravy...I actually fry the sausage and use its grease, and if I don't have enough I add bacon grease to it. If you want to eat your home-made gravy with Grand Biscuits or home-made biscuits its up to you!

Drop Biscuits



2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup milk


Heat oven to 450 degrees. Spray baking sheet with Pam. Measure flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Cut in shortening thoroughly. I use wessons vegetable oil, if I don't have shortening. Stir in milk. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment